If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too


This is our new look design; please tell us what you think.

Rights of Way Gating Order Register

Wiltshire Council has powers under Section 129A of the Highways Act 1980 to make gating orders.

Before making an order, the Council must be satisfied that:

  • premises adjoining or adjacent to the highway are affected by crime or anti-social behaviour;
  • the existence of the highway is facilitating the persistent commission of criminal offences of anti-social behaviour; and
  • it is expedient to make the order for the purposes of reducing crime or anti-social behaviour, having taken into account all the circumstances, including:
    • the likely effect of making the order on the occupiers of premises adjoining or adjacent to the highway;
    • the likely effect of making the order o other persons in the locality; and
    • in a case where the highway constitutes a through route, the availability of a reasonably convenient alternative route.

For Further Information

Please ring the Public Rights of Way Section on 01225 713392, or email rightsofway@wiltshire.gov.uk



This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Choose your address - step one

To view contact details for this service, first, enter your postcode.

Choose your address

I live outside Wiltshire